For a person inexperienced in gemology, buying a diamond is always a challenge. Not everyone is aware of an unspoken rule: before entering a jewelry store, you should know what you want exactly and what’s your budget. Besides, getting a precious stone via the Internet is problematic as you can’t actually see the jewelry piece. These problems become insuperable for an engagement ring, as big money is at stake. It’s better to have a clear understanding of how online shopping for diamonds works in the given circumstances.
Our task is to provide you with all the important information regarding this issue. Here, you’ll find out how to define a trustworthy website, what to pay attention to when picking up the gemstone, and why it is, actually, better to buy on the Internet. Bear with us, and we’ll wipe out your fear about this purchasing style!
Is It Safe to Buy a Diamond Online?
Many people think that jewelry shopping via the Internet is not safe — but the truth is, the only real risk here is picking the wrong website. In the diversity of online diamond shops, it’s hard to recognize the one you can trust. The only way to fix this problem is by learning how to distinguish a vendor with a good reputation.
Our recommendations to recognize a reliable online diamond store
- Find the information about the store you’ve picked up. Pay special attention to reviews — not only on the website but also on third-party sources or on social media. After reading all this, you’ll be able to form your opinion about the company’s trustworthiness.
- Check the availability of customer service. For this, request a personal consultation to assess how the staff does their job and validate that the website is not a scam.
- Recognize the diamond has a GIA or AGS certificate. This will protect you from lousy shopping. In particular, it confirms the quality of a precious stone and gives you a list of its parameters.
Remember: the price solely doesn’t define the diamond quality. At the same time, never pick a gemstone with a price significantly lower than the average. That’s almost always a miss. If a diamond is the central part of your engagement ring, buy the one you actually like. As this jewelry is supposed to be a lifetime gift, it should look great — and you have to be sure of it.
|The key to success in getting a good diamond online is in connecting with a reliable vendor
Reasons Why It Is Better to Buy a Diamond Online
Choosing a gemstone on the Internet is much harder than picking up a pair of jeans in an online store. With clothes, you usually know the required size. All you need to decide is the style and color. But with the diamonds, you should conduct detailed research, as well as find a reliable resource for shopping online.
The #1 reason why you should prefer buying a diamond on the Internet is the reduced cost. On average, you will be able to save from 20 to 40 percent.
There can be several factors behind this abatement:
- online vendors purchase a wholesale diamond usually,
- there are no lease fees,
- there’s no need to pay wages to the staff and utility bills,
- the lower insurance payments.
All these factors allow online stores to reduce the prices and not to worry about the profits.
Another great advantage of online shopping is the ability to see all the diamond market diversity in one place. You won’t view so many pieces and stones in any bricks-and-mortar diamond shop. For example, a 0.90-carat F VVS2 GIA certified diamond is a rare guest in average jewelry shops — but it’s present in almost any online store.
The best websites also give you an opportunity to view a high-resolution 3D model and video of a diamond. With this feature, you can see the implication from any angle without using a magnifying glass. However, even with this privilege, you won’t be able to assess the brilliance of a diamond as you need to hold it in the light to see the sparkle.
|There is one more advantage for people who don’t like interaction with the salesmen. Online stores don’t have annoying consultants whose wages depend on the number of sales and the store’s total income for a month. Nobody will push you to make the purchase ASAP, as well as advise you the more expensive options to get a bigger commission. Only you will decide.
Finally, we have some good words about shipping. It’s usually free of charge and insured from loss by the insurance company. The diamond will be delivered right to your front door via international post services. The box will include the item itself, a diamond certificate, a small bag, and the box for an engagement ring. A 30-days returning policy available in some online shops makes it easier to decide on a diamond ring purchase – in case you don’t like it or just need your money back, the service guarantees the ability to return the item.
Why It’s Worth Buying a Diamond from The Diamond Registry
If you’re interested in buying a diamond online but still have doubts, feel free to seek our support. We’re Diamond Registry, the platform that can link you with international dealers in bulk that allows you to pay less. Founded in 1961 and online since 1997, we offer free consultation and can help you buy a high-quality diamond for any purpose. Except for the lower price, you’ll get assistance in picking up the best diamond according to your request and budget. To gain more knowledge and confidence, please check our Education section to find important information about the 4C’s system, diamond shapes, certification, and so on.
Also, we offer the service of custom-made jewelry creation. And so, if you have some design in mind, our jewelers can take into account your requirements and implement all of your ring-related wishes.
Every precious stone bought through the Diamond Registry has a quality certificate provided by the GIA or AGS. So, you may not worry about being fooled as all the information about the stone is accurate.
Diamond Buying Recommendations
If you decide to buy a diamond online, validate your choice by following these recommendations:
- Find a trustworthy retailer. We’ve already mentioned how important it is to find a reliable online vendor. In addition, buying a diamond ring from a respected resource gives you a lifetime warranty for the piece of jewelry. Moreover, it’s possible to upgrade it after comparing the price to most retail shops.
- Make sure the diamond has a grading certificate. The stone’s quality must be assessed by the GIA or another trusted gemological organization. Basically, the certificate of a diamond is its ID with every parameter included (based on the 4C’s).
- Choose the Cut. The diamond’s sparkle and brilliance depend on its cut. To make a wise choice, combine the cut quality with the type of jewelry you need a diamond for. Engagement rings, necklaces, and pendants require different cuts and can come in different designs. As a universal rule, go for Excellent or Ideal cut. It works the best in round diamonds.
- Assess the Clarity. When it comes to clarity, the main indicator of the diamond’s quality is eye-cleanness. By zooming a 3D image of the gemstone, make sure no blemishes or inclusions spoil its overall beauty. When it comes to exact clarity grades, consider options starting from VS1 and VS2.
- Pick the Color.As the diamonds get the highest value when looking transparent, try to end up with a stone of at least I grade. The thing you have to avoid is the availability of brown or yellow tinting.
|There is a trick some craftsmen use to increase the price for a diamond. They may leave the girdle thicker than necessary. In this case, the stone will weigh more than it actually looks like. Check this and don’t let unscrupulous retailers fool you!
- Decide on the Carat Weight. Carat is the most well-known criterion of the diamond assessment, but not the most significant one. If the mix of the cut, clarity, and color determines the beauty of a diamond, the carat shows how heavy the stone will be
- Take care of the setting. The plenty of available styles makes it hard to stay on one option for your engagement ring or another piece of jewelry. But once you’ve picked up the diamond’s color, it’ll be easier to narrow down the search. You may ask for help on that issue from customer support.
- Form your request and make a final choice. As you’ve done your homework, it’s time to take action. The consultants will help you find the best diamond according to your requirements and budget.
Where Does That Leave Us
Buying a diamond on the Internet is a great way to save a lot and get real help from diamond specialists. You’ll get a better selection and quality in an online store over the bricks-and-mortar shop. And all these advantages come at a lower price. Unbelievable, isn’t it?
Of course, there are some slide downsides of online purchases, such as the inability to compare different gemstones and their brilliance in person. That’s why Diamond Registry invites clients to our office to see the diamonds ordered online in person. Moreover, we strongly recommend checking the grade reports.
Feel free to ask us any questions related to the jewelry world and get professional consulting from our experts. Just submit your contact details below, and we’ll reach you soon!